Click here for authlete instructions.
- The countdown at the bottom of each pairing indicates how much time is left to vote.
- When voting closes, timer will disappear.
- Read both poems as many times as you like.
- Mark the poem you like best by clicking the circle next to its name.
- Press the “Vote” button to record your vote.
- Votes are counted in real time and cannot be changed once entered.
- You can only vote once from a given IP address.
- Classrooms should submit one vote as a class.
- Students can then vote again individually from home.
Things to Consider in Making a Choice:
- How well the poem incorporates the authlete’s assigned word.
- Technical elements: meter, rhyme, form, shape, and other poetic standards.
- Creativity: wordplay, imagery, unusual approach, etc.
- Subtle elements that make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.
- Your overall response: emotional reaction such as admiration, tears, laughter, terror, or some indefinable feeling.
Here are the poems:
A Stink By Any Other Name
By Cara Slavens
Penelope the Garden Pig, always liked to say
“Go out and smell the roses each and every single day.”
She often had her friends to tea, her parties were so quaint.
Sometimes the guests were hard to please and offered this complaint:
“Trout and Skunk are rather ripe. They’re stinking up the place!
The only way to breathe in here is to cover up your face.”
“But Skunk does not smell bad,” Pig said, “and neither does dear Trout.
Perhaps because there’re rose petals lodged inside my snout.”
I Slumber to Numbers
By Eric Ode
I slumber to numbers. They sing me to sleep.
One page of equations, I’m soon counting sheep.
I doze to division and multiplication.
The stacking of fractions can cause hibernation.
Subtractions and factors will daze and deflate me,
tranquilize, narcotize, soundly sedate me.
But, oh, here we go with a 7 times 4,
a 20 plus 12, and a 10 minus. . . snore!
2-lodged vs. 15-narcotize
- 2-lodged (Cara Slavens) (9%, 14 Votes)
- 15-narcotize (Eric Ode) (91%, 136 Votes)
Total Voters: 150
“This is awesome, where can I find more?”:
Browse other matchups using the slider below and click to go straight to that matchup!