The word 13-liquefaction was suggested by Miss Wilde’s 6th grade English class.
Click here for authlete instructions.
- The countdown at the bottom of each pairing indicates how much time is left to vote.
- When voting closes, timer will disappear.
- Read both poems as many times as you like.
- Mark the poem you like best by clicking the circle next to its name.
- Press the “Vote” button to record your vote.
- Votes are counted in real time and cannot be changed once entered.
- You can only vote once from a given IP address.
- Classrooms should submit one vote as a class.
- Students can then vote again individually from home.
Things to Consider in Making a Choice:
- How well the poem incorporates the authlete’s assigned word.
- Technical elements: meter, rhyme, form, shape, and other poetic standards.
- Creativity: wordplay, imagery, unusual approach, etc.
- Subtle elements that make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.
- Your overall response: emotional reaction such as admiration, tears, laughter, terror, or some indefinable feeling.
Here are the poems:
Dung Beetle’s Ditty: A Scarab Scatalog
By Buffy Silverman
Zebra poo, dingo doo! As scents float in, I grin.
“Meadow muffins! Yakky Pies!” I croon without chagrin.
I pat a splat, I carve and cleave, then back my ball away.
I shovel down, below the ground, and roll this dung entrée.
My mate awaits; she clambers up atop my treasured sphere,
accepts my gift and lays an egg beneath her lovely rear.
Our little grub will hatch and squirm; he’ll find a feast to eat:
Leopard doo, monkey poo, a tasty grubby treat.
a foggy lesson
By Ana Paest
our science teacher taught us liquefaction
our project was to demonstrate the action
of how liquids come from gasses,
so i chilled and wore my glasses
into class–but now i can’t see her reaction!
4-chagrin vs. 13-liquefaction
- 4-chagrin (Buffy Silverman) (82%, 135 Votes)
- 13-liquefaction (Ana Paest) (18%, 29 Votes)
Total Voters: 164
“This is awesome, where can I find more?”:
Browse other matchups using the slider below and click to go straight to that matchup!