Click here for authlete instructions.
- The countdown at the bottom of each pairing indicates how much time is left to vote.
- When voting closes, timer will disappear.
- Read both poems as many times as you like.
- Mark the poem you like best by clicking the circle next to its name.
- Press the “Vote” button to record your vote.
- Votes are counted in real time and cannot be changed once entered.
- You can only vote once from a given IP address.
- Classrooms should submit one vote as a class.
- Students can then vote again individually from home.
Things to Consider in Making a Choice:
- How well the poem incorporates the authlete’s assigned word.
- Technical elements: meter, rhyme, form, shape, and other poetic standards.
- Creativity: wordplay, imagery, unusual approach, etc.
- Subtle elements that make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.
- Your overall response: emotional reaction such as admiration, tears, laughter, terror, or some indefinable feeling.
Here are the poems:
On The Eve Of The Equinox
By Mary Lee Hahn
On the eve of the equinox
two Cooper’s Hawks
plumed in conservative browns.
We surprised one on the ground
mantling its prey, surrounded by down.
With a flare of wings
it caught the sharp edge
of the last winter wind
wheeled to the fence
eying its mate above
Joseph – The World’s Best Hitter
By M. M. Socks
He waved it and shook it -
Joseph brandished his bat.
He warned, “I’m the world’s best hitter!
You better believe THAT!”
“C’mon, pitcher – throw me your best
And I’ll slam it towards the sun!
Are you scared? Chicken?”
Whizzz – Whoosh! – STRIKE ONE!
“Now, you got lucky on that one!
I never let THOSE pass through.
Bet you can’t do that again!”
Whizzz – Whoosh!! – STRIKE TWO!!
Joseph straightened his stance -
And without one inch of doubt,
He confidently smirked.
Whizzz – Whoosh!!! – YOU’RE OUT!!!
6-conservative vs. 7-brandished: Which Poem Did You Prefer?
- 6-conservative (Mary Lee Hahn) (48%, 244 Votes)
- 7-brandished (M. M. Socks) (52%, 270 Votes)
Total Voters: 513
“This is awesome, where can I find more?”:
Browse other matchups using the slider below and click to go straight to that matchup!