The word 7-herculean was suggested by Iroquois Intermediate’s thinkers, readers, and writers.
Click here for authlete instructions.
- The countdown at the bottom of each pairing indicates how much time is left to vote.
- When voting closes, timer will disappear.
- Read both poems as many times as you like.
- Mark the poem you like best by clicking the circle next to its name.
- Press the “Vote” button to record your vote.
- Votes are counted in real time and cannot be changed once entered.
- You can only vote once from a given IP address.
- Classrooms should submit one vote as a class.
- Students can then vote again individually from home.
Things to Consider in Making a Choice:
- How well the poem incorporates the authlete’s assigned word.
- Technical elements: meter, rhyme, form, shape, and other poetic standards.
- Creativity: wordplay, imagery, unusual approach, etc.
- Subtle elements that make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.
- Your overall response: emotional reaction such as admiration, tears, laughter, terror, or some indefinable feeling.
Here are the poems:
By M. M. Socks
LeeAnn McCreet grows herculean wheat and beets as big as boulders.
Her enormous berries are legendary for straining pickers’ shoulders.
When harvest time gets closer, she fuels her bulldozer so she can reap her land,
And deliver her crops to all the city shops filling orders they command.
When it comes to billing, she makes a killing off her farm’s gigantic wares,
And every season no one knows the reason why her crops are bigger than theirs.
But LeeAnn McCreet is so tenderly sweet and has such a great charm,
That no one ever questions or offers suggestions to what happens on LeeAnn’s farm.
Against Falsity and Pretense
by Heidi Mordhorst
How doth the chubby hippo
Improve his shining hide,
And bob the waters of the Nile
From side to muddy side!
How lazily he opens wide!
How jolly seems to be!
Then crushes skulls of crocodiles
With sweet hypocrisy.
7-herculean vs. 10-hypocrisy: Which Poem Did You Prefer?
- 7-herculean (M.M. Socks) (53%, 175 Votes)
- 10-hypocrisy (Heidi Mordhorst) (47%, 155 Votes)
Total Voters: 330
“This is awesome, where can I find more?”:
Browse other matchups using the slider below and click to go straight to that matchup!